Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Yes We Can!

Forgive me my earnest title but I can't help it. For some reason the full depth of what Obama being elected actually meant didn't hit me until I saw it on TV last night. Seeing prominent public figures like Jessie Jackson and Oprah Winfrey sitting amongst a crowd demographically all over the map, all overcome with emotion, finally caused it to click for me and I was continually choked up for the rest of the night.

I was witnessing history.

For the first time since 9/11 I felt solidarity with my country. But this time it was for an overwhelmingly hopeful and positive reason. We have overcome a shadow that has been cast on our country for too long. Obama's acceptance speech set the perfect tone. It was victory but a solemn one. There is work to do and he expects as much from us as we expect from him.

Today I am proud to call myself an American. We, as people of this nation, have made the right decision in electing Barack Obama as our next president for many reasons.

2 comments:

Knessa said...

Thank you for this post. I loved seeing that huge crowd. I was literally on my feet clapping and echoing "YES WE CAN!" Hope won! HOPE WON! We have a fan that has joined the National Guard because Obama won. He now has a president and country that he will be proud to serve. Amazing!

What am I going to do now that cynical has left my mood status? I guess I am going to have to put my boots on the ground and roll up my sleeves to help create this new America. Equality for all!

Randy said...

I was thinking of Obama as an intellectual and the leader of brilliant campaign when I pushed the square next to his name; his race wasn't at all on my mind. The full impact didn't hit me either until I saw the crowd in Grant Park. I even thought Colbert was faking it as part of his faux-O'Reilly persona when he got teary-eyed after Jon Stewart announced that Obama had won.